Here’s what to keep in mind for your roof replacement!
The Miami Valley is undoubtedly a four-season region. The summers are long, warm and humid, and our winters are cold and wet. With tornadoes, hail storms and heatwaves, we see a little bit of everything. These extreme climatic conditions can make roofing systems in Ohio’s Miami Valley more vulnerable to damage that warrants more frequent roof replacements. When it comes to Miami Valley roofing, we recommend considering the following to protect both you and your roofers from Ohio’s inclement weather.
Schedule timely repairs
In the Miami Valley, severe weather can strike at any time, without any warning. This unpredictability means you could be facing damage from fallen debris or high winds in the blink of an eye. A damaged roof is highly vulnerable and should immediately be dealt with to protect your home from any major devastation.
Consider the weather conditions
In terms of weather, most roofing professionals can install a new roof as long as temperatures are above freezing. However, there are times during the year that are best suited for roof installation because of prime conditions and temperatures. Our local manufacturer Atlas Roofing recommends installing a roof when the weather is 45-50 degrees with no rain or wind in the forecast. For residents in need of roofing replacements in Miami Valley, these conditions typically begin in early to mid March and pick back up again in the late summer and early fall.
Of course, we understand that time is of the essence, which is why our expert roofers at JW Roofing are skilled to install in almost any condition. However, there are certain risks and downfalls when it comes to installation in the following conditions:
- During a wind or rainstorm: Not only is rain and wind a danger to the contractors on your roof, but it’s a risk in the quality of installation. Rain and wind can cause shingles not to adhere properly and moisture beneath the roof can cause mold and rot down the line.
- On extremely cold days: Freezing cold shingles don’t take well to nail guns, requiring each shingle to be nailed in by hand, increasing time and labor costs.
- On extremely hot days: In Miami Valley in July, we see our fair share of 100 degree days. Unfortunately, this heat can soften shingles, making them more susceptible to damage because of the weight of roofers walking around.
If you have to opt for a day that will be hot, be prepared for your roofers to start early in the morning. During the rest of the year, most roof work begins at around 8:00 a.m., but you should expect roofers to begin around 5:00 a.m. during the hottest days of the year and for work to conclude in the early afternoon.
Choose a durable roofing material
After you’ve scheduled your inspection and decided on a roof replacement, your roofing contractor will work with you to choose materials that fit your needs and your budget. This includes your preferred roofing materials. Be sure to select a material that offers diversity to stand up to Ohio’s all-season climate. We recommend the following:
- Fiberglass Asphalt: Besides being quick to install, affordable and easy to maintain, asphalt shingles are highly durable and effective against harsh weather conditions. The outside layers of asphalt and mineral granules surrounding the fiberglass mat base layer deliver remarkable durability.
- Slate or Cement Tiles: If your home’s foundation is strong enough to support the weight of cement tiles, then they may be a good option to consider. Like asphalt, cement is a versatile material, with great resistance to snow, wind and even fire. It is however important to note that cement tiles typically come at a higher price point.
- Clay Tiles: Clay tiles have the most extended lifespan out of any roofing material, sometimes lasting as long as 100 years. In addition, they’re able to withstand both hot and cold weather events. These benefits do come at a cost, as clay tiles are often a more expensive option than other roofing materials.
JW Roofing: Expert Roofing in The Miami Valley
The Miami Valley climate definitely influences your roofing system. Our experts will work with you to determine the best solution for your roof replacement. Thinking it may be time to schedule a roof replacement? Contact JW Roofing today to book an inspection today!